Author Topic: Thanks Lightning McCoy, for the advice on shaping a hat!  (Read 1035 times)

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
Thanks Lightning McCoy, for the advice on shaping a hat!
« on: May 17, 2016, 06:02:33 PM »
I mentioned to Lightning McCoy last Saturday that I had a hat that for years I wanted to get reshaped, but did not know where to take it.  I had tried to "steam" it myself, but it never got pliable enough to completely reshape.  He said that he cleans and shapes his hat and told me how. 

He said to go ahead and get it really wet with sponge, shape it and then spray fabric "sizing" on it and let it dry.  Wow, it worked great!  My old Lone Ranger hat (that never really looked right for Lone Ranger anyway...) now has a Gus Crease and a flatter brim.   I actually ran it under the tap to wet it.  It dried a bit small, so I re-wet it and kept it stretched while drying.  It dried nice and stiff (and clean!).  Thanks, Lightning!

AM

TN Mongo

• View Profile
Re: Thanks Lightning McCoy, for the advice on shaping a hat!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 07:20:56 PM »
Good info to know.

Lightning McCoy

• View Profile
Re: Thanks Lightning McCoy, for the advice on shaping a hat!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 11:15:04 AM »
You guys are most welcome. Another tip to get it clean if your a 66 or 73 shooter is wet it with simple green and use a sponge to wipe away the grime. Shape to desired look(you may have to do it a step at a time depending on how much different your look is from its original shape.) Allow to dry some and hit it with the sizing once or twice. After it drys it will be stiff, keep its shape and even repel water to some degree. Good Luck!  Lightning McCoy