Author Topic: ORSA Match ... looking for some feedback  (Read 2890 times)

Kid Ziggy

• View Profile
ORSA Match ... looking for some feedback
« on: November 13, 2016, 05:25:01 PM »
Hey all, I have heard mixed comments about our match this past Saturday.  Keystone shared some data re: SDQs, Ps, and misses that were certainly above average while some folks appear to have shot it very well.  It is all "on me" so don't shoot the match director or other officers.  They have always given me a lot of freedom to be creative.

On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being 'fun' & 5 being 'I would of rather stayed home') please post your rating and let me know what you liked and what you did not like.  The more honest you are, the more I benefit.  If you prefer, PM me directly so you can be candid.

PS   If you are in the "5" category - I sincerely apologize.  I try to put a lot of thought into it but have the same goal as most other stage writers which is to create a fun event.  We certainly had an excellent weather day to shoot and I know the officers appreciate everyone who comes out to attend.

Ocoee Red

• View Profile
Re: ORSA Match ... looking for some feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 06:17:49 PM »
Probably about a 3-4 for me Ziggy,

I think stage 2 where you had to move to see the shotgun targets got most of the SDQ's.

Some people were picking up the shotgun and loading it there then moving to where they could see the targets (twice) with the gun closed and oops!

As far as the "P's" I think the target orders were weird and confusing to some. (at least stage 1 was to me I guess where I got mine).

Anytime you have that many "P's" and SDQ's and misses, well you know.

I didn't shoot worth a crap and that's on me and some people shot it relatively well but I still love you man! 

No apology necessary. No one writes the best stages every match. Thanks for writing them as you cannot please everyone all the time and you stage writers have no easy job.  I personally commend all of you. See you next weekend hopefully!

Loco Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 07:08:36 PM »
Well I'd give it a 1 , but I'm there to have fun no matter what. The stories were great too. My times could have been better, but my reshoot because of ammo problems had another ammo problem. The weather was perfect and I think our posse had a good time. Thanks to all who made it happen.

Cumberland Mtn John

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 08:36:06 PM »
Ziggy,

I give it a 1.  For the fact you had to think clearly before each stream of targets.  More of a thinking persons match we need more of them.

CMJ

Anita Margarita

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 12:38:16 PM »
I don't have any problem with a few smaller and/or further targets in a match, some movement between shooting locations, and the occasional "different" sequence.

That said, I thought that Saturday's stages - all together in one match - were a bit much. Sometimes shooting sequences that look good on paper just don't translate well into real life, especially when breaking the 10 shots into two 5-shot pistol strings for non-gunfighters.  I think that was an issue on stages 1 and 4*. I was also concerned about the amount of running and in particular the movement with shotgun on stage 2 where you had to pick your stopping positions carefully to see two shotgun targets from the same place.  Even though people know the rules about moving with a loaded SG, it is just asking for DQs.

I guess I'd give the match a 3.  Just a few tweaks could have made it better.

AM

* Stage 4 was a perfect example of this.  The 10 shot sequence makes perfect sense, but (and maybe its just me..) I cannot wrap my head around that as two 5-shot patterns. I was glad to be shooting gunfighter on that stage!

Kid Ziggy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 04:08:07 PM »
Keep it coming y'all ... I asked for AND appreciate the feedback. 

Anita:  I agree 100% that stages can look okay on paper but end up not shooting very well.  Stage #1 is certainly in that camp, it was the most confusing for me and I wrote the darn thing.  I liked the moving start but there was just too much gun movement.  Our posse's 2-handed shooters did not really have any problem on #4 but we did spend a lot of time in the explanation of how to do it in 5-shot strings.  The hidden KDs ended up being more difficult than what I thought on #2.  You had to move up and left for the two on the right, and then move to the barrel for the two on the left (not unlike moving between windows) but we had some on our posse try to shoot the target on the far right from close to the table and that ended up as a long SG attempt and not a good option.

The entire match was supposed to be big and close.  I think we used just about every big target we had and the farthest pistol shot (on paper) was only 7 yards.  I guess it did not seem that way for many.  For those who liked the match, I appreciate that too.

Waimea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 06:30:23 PM »
I had fun.

The stage that had me the most confused was the one where you had to shoot a tombstone on right then double tap the target on the left.

Worried about it quite a bit then I got up there and I think it was my best stage of the day.

I don't write stages so I don't know how hard it really is but I would say it is probably one of the less appreciated jobs in CAS.

I'll give you high marks for stepping up and trying it.

If I had one criticism it would be to not try new things on every stage. Too much change all at once throws folks off. Have one really different stage but stick to the tried and true for the others.

The writing was superb. (Rest in peace).

Waimea

Fast Harley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 06:48:23 PM »
First of all let me repeat that I always have respect for stage writers, and everyone should.
It doesn't mean you can't have a complaint or comment, just remember that the writer gave
their free time to do a match for you.
I was a stage writer for more than a decade, and maybe I'm not done yet,  Smiley, but you can't
please everyone, and that being said you must go out on a limb sometimes to keep it fresh
and interesting.  T- Bone understands this.
As far as last Saturday's match, I LOVE movement, but others do not. Some have issues that
keep them from enjoying a whole lot of movement. I like new and different target orders, and
I managed Stage 1 and stage 4 just fine, (I don't think I had ever seen those two just that way,
and I liked them, ) but newer shooters may have not, so much.
Most know I'm not a fan of small and far, but I don't like REAL close, either.
So, to me the only real issues with the match was shotgun. Most shoot short barrel, open choke
guns, and some for many and various reasons shoot light loads, meaning that long range KD
targets torture those who don't like to shoot SG, anyway. I watched many hit the targets that
were out there with a full pattern and the targets said something that sounded like HAHAHAHA!
Also, shooting anywhere along the firing line is usually great, but forcing the shooter to have to
pick spots along the way which are the only places to see the targets means penalties.
Because of SG I would give the match a 3, even though it was fun.
By the way, I REALLY enjoyed the stories about war animals! Of course I firmly believe that no
matter where, when or who wrote the match we should always have stage stories!!!
Just the view from my saddle,
Harley.

Blake The Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 08:47:24 PM »
I'll give it a 1!
It kept us all on our toes for sure!
I also loved the stories of the war horses.
They did so much for our soldiers.

Blake the Snake

Keystone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 08:57:05 PM »
Howdy,

First, let me say I enjoyed the match and shot pretty well, 5th overall. Second, I have been shooting for 14 years and usually adjust pretty well to unorthodox stages. Third, my comments about misses, procedurals, SDQ's and clean matches was not criticism just an observation. Fourth, some stages took much explaining but shot well afterwards. Fifth, on stage #2, shooters would have felt more comfortable leaving their rifles on the barrel as they staged shotguns on table if a blanket had been placed on the barrel covering the metal rim.. Also, perhaps explaining the rules regarding moving with shotgun, loaded/unloaded could have been explained as a point of emphasis. Lastly, thanks Ziggy for the creative stages. I rank the match at 2.5 on the fun factor.

Hasta Luego, Keystone
Never get in a gunfight with seven men when you only have a six-shooter. W.J. Vogel

Jackalope

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 12:39:33 PM »
Ziggy has authored stages for Oak Ridge in the past, and as I recall, they were very good.  He's attended matches around the country and I'm certain he's seen plenty of good stages and probably encountered some klinkers along the way.  I had the opportunity to review his stages in advance and did not notice any glaring, obvious issues.  Perhaps, had I scrutinzed them with a more critical eye, maybe we could have headed off some of the complaints that have come up here and at the range during the match.  As mentioned before, sometimes what looks OK on paper doesn't translate well in three dimensions.  Perhaps we could have made adjustments during setup...

Looking at it as the match director, I would probably score the total experience of this match as a 3. Nobody was injured, the weather was near perfect, and I seriously doubt the stages will scare anyone away permanently...but some folks had issues we could have prevented...maybe.

Personally, I like movement on the stage if there's a purpose to it...but we have several customers who don't even want to walk up the hill to stage 5, let alone run from position B to position A to position C across the bay. 

Personally, I'm not a big fan of unusual sweeps, particularly when there are several in one match...but many of our customers really like variety.

My biggest preference is to hear our participants laugh, joke and have a big smile when they go on their way.  Unfortunately, there were some frustrated folks by the end of Saturday's event.

I appreciate your comments, and I'm sure Ziggy does, too.  What we learn from this will ultimately bring you better stages down the trail.
Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7
Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation
2010, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2018

Kid Ziggy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 01:20:43 PM »

+100